Thread: MAX Dimensions

Associate Engineer

MAX Dimensions

If a print calls out ".06 MAX", does that allow an inspected dimension of .069? Would .064 be acceptable as it rounds down to .06? Or do you just ignore the 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc. decimals entirely as only 2 places are specified?

This issue came up the other day and there seems to be a lot of mixed opinions on what is actually acceptable. One of the other engineers I work with suggested that if you were to measure that dimension and only used a scale to the hundredths, wouldn't a .069 dimension actually round to (and display) .07? Therefore, .065 and up are unacceptable while .064 and down are acceptable, even though you wouldn't use a scale to the thousandths.

Thanks in advance for any opinions/advice.

First - are your drawings created to a standard like ISO or ANSI? If so, consult said standards.

If not, then IMHO trailing zeroes are assumed after all dimensions . . . especially those that are marked "MAX". MAX means what it says. All the tolerance is on the minus side.

Technical Fellow
    I am with JB, if there is a standard quoted then use it.

If not, then to me, "0.06MAX" means "0.060" where "0.060001" is oversize and fails. With the "Max" missing from "0.06" then it would be open for interpretation and I would accept "0.064444" as being within the upper limit.

Associate Engineer
    Thanks for the opinions. The drawing calls out ASME Y14.5M-1994. However, I can't find anything about MAX dimensions in that spec.

Quote Originally Posted by bullsseye View Post
    Thanks for the opinions. The drawing calls out ASME Y14.5M-1994. However, I can't find anything about MAX dimensions in that spec.
    I do not have any of my ANSI or ASME dimensioning and tolerancing standards with me at this location. However, look in Chapter one or two for something like "Interpretation of Dimensional Limits".

Dimensional limits are interpreted most correctly as absolute.

So, ".06 MAX" is interpreted as .060000000 and so on

Project Engineer
    In ASME Y14.5M-1994, this is address in paragraph 2.4 and 2.5 (page 25). A callout of .06 MAX cannot accept anything beyond that amount, even if it's .060000000001.

Quote Originally Posted by Belanger View Post
    In ASME Y14.5M-1994, this is address in paragraph 2.4 and 2.5 (page 25). A callout of .06 MAX cannot accept anything beyond that amount, even if it's .060000000001.
    Like....

Associate Engineer
    Many thanks to Belanger and everyone else. I just sent out an E-mail quoting those sections to all involved in our engineering, manufacturing, and quality groups.