Thread: Any ideas on where to find 1045 tubing that is not over seas?

matt46804

Confused Any ideas on where to find 1045 tubing that is not over seas?

I have a part that needs 1045 material. is 2 3/8 dia. and it has a inner dia. of 1 27/32. It would seems easier to machine a tube then to machine a 1045 bar. But, the only tube I can find is in china. Does anyone have any ideas?

Depending on quantity/economics - any steel supplier will roll the size you need.

Jorgesen, Ryerson-Tull , Carpenter Technologies....

Usually you'll need to buy about 40,000 lbs. or more to get a mill to run specials for you unless you can get lucky and find a mill buying strip for another customer that will piggy back your run with theirs.

Some more names...
    Might try PTC Alliance or Vannex if you're talking mill runs.
    Or Marmon Keystone or O'Niel if just a few...

Technical Fellow
    Hi Matt,

I remember needing some weird spec tube maybe ten years back and I stumbled upon aircraft specialty suppliers. I cannot remember where I got the stuff, but it was almost a mom and pop type business that supplied to vintage aircraft restorers. Not any of the mainstream suppliers like Aircraft Spruce etc. Dig around in some of the vintage aviation forums.

I remember they also sold large format end-mills that came from places like Boeing etc, as they had names and codes marked on them. Still lots of good use on the end-mills and I still have some of them. Top quality resharpening and honing but for pennies on the buck.

Please let's know how you get on.