Thread: Making a large "disc spring" washer

Associate Engineer

Making a large "disc spring" washer

For a project for work I need to make a large ring, shaped like a disc spring washer. It's going to be over 12" in diameter, and probably 1/2" thick, and about 1.5" width of the ring. We will be plasma cutting a flat ring, then drawing it to form the disc spring shape. Does anyone know of any calculations, or good websites, on how to calculate the blank diameters needed, force needed to form, etc.? It is currently cut in not quite a full ring, then rolled to form the disc spring shape, and welded at the seam. They want to eliminate the welding from the process, and just draw the shape.
    Last edited by neoga34; 06-25-2012 at 08:38 PM. Reason: error in description

Ever heard of Spinning manufacturing?

http://www.engineeringmotion.com/vid...metal-spinning

http://www.engineersedge.com/manufac...ning-metal.htm

There are many other methods to manufacture a spring washer shape.

Associate Engineer
    Thank you for your suggestion. Yes, I have heard of metal spinning. However, we do not have that capability in house, and they want this to be done in house. The only capabilities we have in house are rolling it or forming/drawing it. I'm new to this place, so this is new to me.

If you can form by press, i guess , heat it and form it with a punch and die, then apply the heat treatment .

The blank just calculate by trigonometry , ID OD and height

Quote Originally Posted by neoga34 View Post
    For a project for work I need to make a large ring, shaped like a disc spring washer. It's going to be over 12" in diameter, and probably 1/2" thick, and about 1.5" width of the ring. We will be plasma cutting a flat ring, then drawing it to form the disc spring shape. Does anyone know of any calculations, or good websites, on how to calculate the blank diameters needed, force needed to form, etc.? It is currently cut in not quite a full ring, then rolled to form the disc spring shape, and welded at the seam. They want to eliminate the welding from the process, and just draw the shape.
    You say "shaped like" so this tells me it isn't necessarily a spring amd maybe just a guide for a roll or similar?

You say "probably" 1/2" thick so this tells me you aren't really sure what you need yet or maybe if you don't have the tonnage available you'll settle for thinner?

You say "just" draw the shape and I admire that. A line I use here at work all the time is "How hard can it be?" What you want to do really is a simple thing... If you have the right equipment and tools for it.

So first thing you need to do is grab a copy of "Machinery's Handbook."

Next you need to take a hard look at what you really desire from this part and then what you could live with. Example being... You'd like to cut this thing and press it and have a finished part of "X" dimensions.... but you could live with... cutting this part... press it... finish machine it... and maybe be happy enough with "Y" dimensions.

Then you need to look at what sort of tonnage you'll need to move this part. That's where the "Machinery's Handbook" comes in.

Then if you have enough tonnage with equipment on your floor you're golden and away you go. If not then you need to decide if the quantity of parts required justifies the purchase of the equipment you need... or do you reduce the thickness of the part to fit your envelope?... or do you sub the job out?

Good Luck!
    Bob