Thread: Help !!!!!!!!!!! Plz read all

Associate Engineer

Exclamation Help !!!!!!!!!!! Plz read all

Hey guys,
    I am new in the forum here, It's my first post and I hope u guys will be able to help me
    I'm engineering student, I'm arab Palestinian study Electronics & Communications engineering in Egypt
    I am confused now, If I must go on electronic's or mechanical or what I dunno

I had done 1 year, we study ENG for 5 years, 1st year is the same in all fields of engineering, Now I have to register tomorrow for which filed I want
    I am confused really
    When I watch videos about careers and the nature of study on youtube, all videos r different
    I want the truth and I know I will find experts here

I will tell u what I was insterested in since my childhood
    I really really always was so inlove with planes and space ships, Really I like this the most but I couldn't join Planes engineering cuz its much expensive here I cannot afford it
    and my 2nd interests r machines, Like engines of cars, trains how it has balance, space ships, even engines of planes and how to make robot car with wires and controlling romot and wires systems
    and I like radars of Military and how we control anti air craft missles and the electronics control of war I always check these sites also of Military air defence and I read about its engineers
    and I like electronics devices but not much Like previous things

I joined inventions competitions when i was young i was making robots and many things like alarm system with Extinguish fire system
    I really like machines, the movment of it, I like how I control Machines by electronic circuits !

Now I was reading about electronics some sites said that electronics engineer might work as electrical engineer in electricity stations generation
    But I dont like that, I joined this field I thought I will study how devices work
    I want to know if I will go on electronics engineering, What Can I be? I cannot work in industrial factories? like only programming and those things? I read some electronics and computer engineers work to manage programs for salaries on computer or travels online registration sites
    but I dont want that

I want to know if in mechanical engineering will we study how to connect engines with wires and circuits or only engines and AC and steam and these things?

Is it right that Mechatronics engineer know a bit about electricity, electronics, communications and mechanical eng or He dont know about communications? what fields of work I can go on with mechatronix ? and what does the mechatronics engineer work?

I know my talking seems funny, but I don't want to regret later, I have only 1 chance, 1 day to decice,
    I wish U can help me guys, and thanks for reading
    leave ur comment please thanks and don't ignore any point of my talking

Welcome to Engineers Edge!

First thing you should know is that your engineering major will only steer you in a general career direction and will not guarantee a specific role, responsibility or opportunity. Ultimately, most graduates look for opportunity within corporate or government organizations, which are very structured and opportunities and job functions defined.

From a practical point of view, I would focus on employ-ability. If you do a searches for “Electronic Engineering Jobs” or Mechanical Engineering Jobs” on your favorite search site, you will find many opportunities in most countries. However, try a search for “Mechatronics Engineering Jobs” and see what you get..

I would suggest you do more research on what exactly you want to do and then stick to the traditional engineering career fields of study.

On graduation you will want as many opportunities as you can get..
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 07-03-2012 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Spelling

Once you get into the work force you will find that the real importance of an engineering degree is in the doors it opens for you. You will also find that the more specific the degree is the fewer doors it opens. For example, while a nuclear power plant surely employs several nuclear engineers, I would bet that it employs more individuals with basic mechanical or basic electrical engineering degrees. When those engineers want to move on to other employment, the nuclear engineers have fewer options than the mechanical or the electrical engineers. They almost have to stay within the nuclear industry. The mechanical and electrical engineers do not. I have worked in many environments, and I have worked with several mechanical engineers that used to work in nuclear facilities. But I've never worked in a nuclear plant, so I have never worked with a nuclear engineer.

Another example of this is the aerospace engineer. Airplane manufacturers obviously have a lot of them, but they also have a lot of mechanical and electrical engineers. There are many more examples of this situation.

My point is this: the more generalized your degree is, the more options you will have in the future. A good mechanical engineer that has a good understanding of the mechanical principles of nature can apply that understanding in almost any industry. The same is true for the basic electrical or electronic engineer. But you probably aren't going to find an aerospace engineer designing machinery for a steel mill.

My advice? Stick to the basics. You will find more doors open in your future.

Technical Fellow
    I would also suggest heading down the Mechanical Engineering path. when I was about 35, I did electronics as a secondary course that started out more as a hobby for the exact reasons you suggest, I wanted to control the mechanical stuff I was making..

Without the Mechanical base to work from, I could probably have never made the stuff I designed that I also wanted to control, so Mechanical first, then Electronics would be my suggestion.

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkertonD View Post
    I would also suggest heading down the Mechanical Engineering path. when I was about 35, I did electronics as a secondary course that started out more as a hobby for the exact reasons you suggest, I wanted to control the mechanical stuff I was making..

Without the Mechanical base to work from, I could probably have never made the stuff I designed that I also wanted to control, so Mechanical first, then Electronics would be my suggestion.
    U mean to study mechanical then after I finish I start to have courses about electronics?
    but when I do that i will have small knowledge about electronics and maybe no knowledge about communications?or what do u mean

what if i study electronics then I had some mechanical courses?

I think u mean power mehcanical Not the mechatronics cuz Power is really better

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by jboggs View Post
    Once you get into the work force you will find that the real importance of an engineering degree is in the doors it opens for you. You will also find that the more specific the degree is the fewer doors it opens. For example, while a nuclear power plant surely employs several nuclear engineers, I would bet that it employs more individuals with basic mechanical or basic electrical engineering degrees. When those engineers want to move on to other employment, the nuclear engineers have fewer options than the mechanical or the electrical engineers. They almost have to stay within the nuclear industry. The mechanical and electrical engineers do not. I have worked in many environments, and I have worked with several mechanical engineers that used to work in nuclear facilities. But I've never worked in a nuclear plant, so I have never worked with a nuclear engineer.

Another example of this is the aerospace engineer. Airplane manufacturers obviously have a lot of them, but they also have a lot of mechanical and electrical engineers. There are many more examples of this situation.

My point is this: the more generalized your degree is, the more options you will have in the future. A good mechanical engineer that has a good understanding of the mechanical principles of nature can apply that understanding in almost any industry. The same is true for the basic electrical or electronic engineer. But you probably aren't going to find an aerospace engineer designing machinery for a steel mill.

My advice? Stick to the basics. You will find more doors open in your future.
    I understand u well
    But honestly, I like both of mechanical and electronics engineering
    which do u think is better for work, salary, study ? dont say look at ur interests, cuz i like both
    Don't u think electronics is more modern and the world will use it more now? and the mechanical is old? for example in the US univ electronics field is higher than mechanical

I will preface my reply with this statement - I am an avowed "gearhead" from way back. That means I've been a mechanical engineer (ME)for a long time. And I never regretted my choice. I have worked with a lot of VERY talented and smart engineers in many disciplines. And some idiots too. I have known several that had strong knowledge in both mechanical and electrical/electronic. You have to start somewhere. I'm sure some on this forum will disagree with this, but my gut tells me that the easier path to competent knowledge in both fields would be to start with the mechanical first, then go after the electrical side. I say that based on years of working with both. No one can have a full grasp of both worlds. It takes two different types of understanding and logic. I have also found that more ME's will to admit lack of understanding of EE issues than the other way around. No offense to my "sparky" brethren, but I have often seen EE's that thought they understood the mechanical issues of a project when they really didn't. I have also seen some ME's make some pretty bad electrical mistakes. But the willingness to admit a lack of understanding of the other field seems to be more common with the mechanical folks. So the reason I say to start with mechanical is that if you start with the electrical you are more likely to mistakenly think you truly understand the mechanical when you really do not.

I apologize the clumsiness of that whole paragraph. Maybe tomorrow I'll have the energy to think it over and re-write it but for now it stands as is.

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by jboggs View Post
    I will preface my reply with this statement - I am an avowed "gearhead" from way back. That means I've been a mechanical engineer (ME)for a long time. And I never regretted my choice. I have worked with a lot of VERY talented and smart engineers in many disciplines. And some idiots too. I have known several that had strong knowledge in both mechanical and electrical/electronic. You have to start somewhere. I'm sure some on this forum will disagree with this, but my gut tells me that the easier path to competent knowledge in both fields would be to start with the mechanical first, then go after the electrical side. I say that based on years of working with both. No one can have a full grasp of both worlds. It takes two different types of understanding and logic. I have also found that more ME's will to admit lack of understanding of EE issues than the other way around. No offense to my "sparky" brethren, but I have often seen EE's that thought they understood the mechanical issues of a project when they really didn't. I have also seen some ME's make some pretty bad electrical mistakes. But the willingness to admit a lack of understanding of the other field seems to be more common with the mechanical folks. So the reason I say to start with mechanical is that if you start with the electrical you are more likely to mistakenly think you truly understand the mechanical when you really do not.

I apologize the clumsiness of that whole paragraph. Maybe tomorrow I'll have the energy to think it over and re-write it but for now it stands as is.
    r u still here? I wanna ask u about sth

Your question?

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Bramble View Post
    Welcome to Engineers Edge!

First thing you should know is that your engineering major will only steer you in a general career direction and will not guarantee a specific role, responsibility or opportunity. Ultimately, most graduates look for opportunity within corporate or government organizations, which are very structured and opportunities and job functions defined.

From a practical point of view, I would focus on employ-ability. If you do a searches for “Electronic Engineering Jobs” or Mechanical Engineering Jobs” on your favorite search site, you will find many opportunities in most countries. However, try a search for “Mechatronics Engineering Jobs” and see what you get..

I would suggest you do more research on what exactly you want to do and then stick to the traditional engineering career fields of study.

On graduation you will want as many opportunities as you can get..
    the branch you have studied never decide your future.......if you stop learning after your engineering degree. you can work as mechanical engineer if you think you can ,but you have to "learn things properly"
    Last edited by Midhun; 07-12-2012 at 04:50 AM.

Midhun,
    I realize that english is not your native language. You do a fine job of expressing yourself anyway. But you must realize that when you are communicating in a work or professional envorinment, you are not texting on your cell phone. If you want to be accepted by professionals, you must communicate like one. The more you can do to improve your punctuation, capitalization, grammar, and sentence structure, the better you will be accepted. I did not say the better "u" will be accepted.

Engineer
    "thank you Jboggs" for giving me an advice. I will follow it up