Thread: Need small 12vdc pressure pump / blower / fan

Associate Engineer

Need small 12vdc pressure pump / blower / fan

Need small 12vdc pressure pump / blower / fan

Hi guys, I'm looking to get a portable 12 volt DC air pump to run a piece of testing equipment I have. The testing equipment needs at least .5 psi or more, with at least .5 CFM, smooth, constant air flow. I'm currently using an air tank, with a regulator, but I'm tired of hauling that bulky tank around everywhere. Also, sometimes I forget to fill the air tank. I have been looking at portable, battery backup fish tank and pond pumps, but they pulse real bad. I want something smoother than those air pumps, so I don't have to make a baffle or chamber to smooth the air out. I've looked into muffin fans for enclosures, but I can't seem to find one that can produce these pressures and volume on 12vdc.
    Again, I would like to run this on some type of battery pack. It would need to run for around one hour of tests on one or two batteries.
    Any ideas???

Technical Fellow
    You would probably need something to smooth out piston pulses. Attached free hand sketch. All parts should be available at a local hardware store.

An Auto parts store will have small noisy 12v air compressors. Get a suitable AGM motorcycle battery while you are there.

For the inlet use a metal Schrader valve from an old motorcycle tube.

Dave
    I will not give you the answer to your question, but I **will** guide you into discovering how to solve this yourself.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Associate Engineer
    Thanks for the idea. I'm still looking for a few different ideas before I decide on the pump assembly. I would like this to be fairly quite and small, but I might not have any choice on those features.