Thread: Technical Reference Infomation - What do you use most?

Question Technical Reference Infomation - What do you use most?

This morning, I was pondering technical reference data. You know, the information that you have posted on your wall or in a notebook for quick reference. I thought it might be interesting to see what other folks need to get their job done in terms of reference data or books.

1. Password chart - got too many
    2. Linux error code chart
    3. ASME Y14.5 - 2009: Dimensioning and Tolerancing USA
    4. Drawing Requirements Reference Book
    5. ISO 1101 - 2004: Dimensioning and Tolerancing - Rest of the world
    6. Drill size chart
    7. Thread size chart: ANSI
    8. Thread size chart: ISO (metric)

Interesting stuff, Kelly. It's fun to see what other people use on a daily basis.

Myself?

AWS Standard Weld Symbols (24" x 36" chart on the wall)
    AISI Thickness Tolerance Ranges (for sheetmetal)
    Ryerson Stocklist Handbook (this is a great source of info regarding metals ranging from sheetmetal to tubing, steels and alloys)
    Vendor Tool List (this is an itemized list of tooling for our vendors turret punches. It is very helpful when designing a part to know what tooling is available for punching various holes and slots.)

Ron

Technical Fellow
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Bramble View Post
    that you have posted on your wall or in a notebook for quick reference.
    Well Kelly, as a bit of a Geek and programmer, I don't have much stuff on my wall but I have written a few programs that I find indispensable. I do have the following on the wall though...

Drill tapping chart combined Metric and SAE

Letter and Number drill decimal sizes.

Machinery's handbook on the computer although the Search is abysmal but tolerable once you get the hang of it.

PartzList a program I wrote that lists all of the common things I order from various suppliers. It automatically passes the part numbers I select to the Clipboard to make online ordering a breeze.

TwoAlarming is a program that stores information on things that happen or need to happen on a specific Date. Similar to an Appointment thing but much more useful and flexible for the way I like to work. I can set x-days warnings etc. I once got a $90 fine for expired tags on my truck because the DMV had the incorrect zip code and sent a renewal notice I never got. My fault for not checking but if you don't think to check then... That will never happen again.

What? another one that stores any kind of data, notes etc, but is indexed so I can find stuff quickly using partial words or phrases.

Where? a program for finding anything in a file anywhere on the computer. It can also find file names with embedded partial words. Such as "lock" would find files named "Lathe Clocked for speed" or "Data locking routine" and optionally search the contents too.

DeskClock shows the date and time in one of about 30 different formats. It locks to a selected position on the screen, but jumps to a new but similar spot every 30 minutes to prevent screen burn.

DeskWindow is a slide show of my favorite pics. It can be just a static pic or a timed slide show.

DOSFilenames shows long file names and their counterparts in 8.3 format. I have a bunch of CNC machines that run DOS and the 8.3 can get pretty cryptic sometimes.

RenameAll will rename a group of files but keeps the original extensions for each one.

SoooEezy a database of all of my passwords. Very secure and also this latest version has a keylogger foil-er.

WorldTime for making phone calls to friends in the UK, Japan and Australia.

Pasteeze stores text and pushes it onto the clipboard for pasting into other apps. My Signature here is an example.

Suffice to say a lot of these are duplicated on my PDA too.

I can't imagine a person owning a computer and not wanting to program.

Dave
    Generally, I will not give you the answer to your question, but I **will** guide you into discovering how to solve this yourself.

Cool

Me? ANSI C'bore Chart, Drill and Tap chart and a Decimal Equiv. chart....Not to mention my Screw Data Slide thingy.

I'm not doing a lot of rocket science here....they won't let me.
    Last edited by Marky; 04-26-2011 at 03:36 PM.

1. Decimal chart
    2. Ryerson Steel Book
    3. Screw Thread Slide Chart (metric and imperial)
    4. Machinery's Handbook
    5. This website!