Thread: Structural Beam Deflection & Stress Formula Engineering Calculator

Structural Beam Deflection & Stress Formula Engineering Calculator

john l
    I am looking to determine what the deflection would be in a rectangular solid steel bar that is 1.5" wide, 2.00" tall and 44" long used to lift 2000 lbs of wieght. The (2) lifting eyes i have spec'd out are capable of lifting 4,000 pounds each and will be placed 1" in from each end - such that the lifting eyes will have a 42" center to center distance. I planned on using a sling rated for at least 4,000 lbs to do the lifting, getting my factor of safety at 2. Each end of the sling would attach to the lifting eyes, with the center of the strap placed over the hook on the crane being used.

Quote Originally Posted by john l View Post
    I am looking to determine what the deflection would be in a rectangular solid steel bar that is 1.5" wide, 2.00" tall and 44" long used to lift 2000 lbs of wieght. The (2) lifting eyes i have spec'd out are capable of lifting 4,000 pounds each and will be placed 1" in from each end - such that the lifting eyes will have a 42" center to center distance. I planned on using a sling rated for at least 4,000 lbs to do the lifting, getting my factor of safety at 2. Each end of the sling would attach to the lifting eyes, with the center of the strap placed over the hook on the crane being used.
    https://www.engineersedge.com/beam_b...m_bending4.htm

and

https://www.engineersedge.com/calcul...are_case_6.htm

So, we should assume from your question that you do not know how to apply the formulas in the link. Right?

Technical Fellow
    I suspect you will greater problems than the deflection.

I assume you are using the bar as a spreader?

How are you attaching the load to the bar?

How are of the lifting eyes attached to the bar?

If threaded, how much material is left of the bar after drilling and tapping?

This sounds like a dangerous project for someone with your seemingly limited knowledge of all of the potential forces, risks and dangers.