Thread: Whether to apply GD&T Concentricity or Cylindricity

Whether to apply GD&T Concentricity or Cylindricity

I have a confusion in my main drive shaft drawing whether to apply the cylindricity or total runout or runout or concentricity
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 08-24-2015 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dhavalkantilaltrivedi View Post
    I have a confusion in my main drive shaft drawing whether to apply the cylindricity or total runout or runout or concentricity
    Which dimensioning and tolerancing standard you work under?

What is the application of the part and functional relationship of the features requiring the tolerance specification?
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Bramble View Post
    Which dimensioning and tolerancing standard you work under?

What is the application of the part and functional relationship of the features requiring the tolerance specification?
    It is driven shaft which is mounted on casting. The parts which gets mounted on the shaft are bearing , bushing , gear, roller.

Project Engineer
    There are basically four qualities that might be controlled. Tell us which of these are important to the function, and whether they are to be held to the same tolerance. (Or perhaps one of these should be tighter?)...

-- size (diameter)
    -- form (roundness)
    -- orientation (angle)
    -- location (centeredness)

For parts that rotate you often want to use circular runout, but your answer about which of these 4 are important may steer you to a different symbol.
    Also, as Kelly mentioned, it is important to know if you are using the ISO standard for tolerancing, or the ASME standard for tolerancing.