Thread: High Volume Fuel Tank Fill Caps

Associate Engineer

High Volume Fuel Tank Fill Caps

Hello,

I have been looking for a fuel tank fill cap that meets the following criteria:

1) has some form of gasket seal
    2) accepts a high volume nozzle (high volume nozzles have an outer diamter of about 1.5" ~ 2.0")
    3) has 2" NPT female threads for mounting to the tank
    4) no plastic
    5) can be pad locked

We currently use McMaster part# 4906K23 (about half way down this page: http://www.mcmaster.com/#fill-caps/=b89i78). The only thing it is missing is a gasket seal.

We have also ordered some protectoseal components in the past, but they do not seem to have a 2" model that accepts a high volume nozzle.

Any help would be appreciated,
    analysisparalysis

Hi and welcome to the new forum. A couple of questions.....is this a one piece part or something used in production...

Maybe Protectoseal can modify or make one for you....or help you with parts for production.

Lots of car buffs in here...they'll help. I'll keep looking also.

Just be patient while they get used to the New Forum Format.

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Marky View Post
    Hi and welcome to the new forum. A couple of questions.....is this a one piece part or something used in production...

Maybe Protectoseal can modify or make one for you....or help you with parts for production.

Lots of car buffs in here...they'll help. I'll keep looking also.

Just be patient while they get used to the New Forum Format.
    This is something we use for production. I'm not sure if protectoseal would modify one, they haven't been overly helpful thus far.

Oh Ok....we'll keep looking.

It looks like you can add a thin washer and a sealing gasket to the "Breather Vent/Tank Fill Caps" -or is it me?

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Bramble View Post
    It looks like you can add a thin washer and a sealing gasket to the "Breather Vent/Tank Fill Caps" -or is it me?
    Kelly,

Do you see something on McMaster that says a sealing gasket can be added, or do you mean I could add one? I could probably add one, and that is a good solution.

This seems like one of those things that should be a very common product, and I just can't seem to find anyone who makes it. There are lots of large industrial pieces of equipment out there, and they must be using high volume nozzles to fill them, and they probably have gasket seals.

I haven't had much luck trying to find one made by Cat or John Deere though.

Quote Originally Posted by analysisparalysis View Post
    Kelly,

Do you see something on McMaster that says a sealing gasket can be added, or do you mean I could add one? I could probably add one, and that is a good solution.

This seems like one of those things that should be a very common product, and I just can't seem to find anyone who makes it. There are lots of large industrial pieces of equipment out there, and they must be using high volume nozzles to fill them, and they probably have gasket seals.

I haven't had much luck trying to find one made by Cat or John Deere though.
    No, the gasket and washer thing just popped in my mind when I looked at it. There are thin washer and off-the-shelf gasoline compatible gaskets available – cheap.

I also thought that if the threads where pipe or other that one could install the vent/cap with gasoline compatible thread sealer. I don’t envision that the vent/cap will be removed often in the usable lifespan of the fuel system.

Technical Fellow
    Quote Originally Posted by analysisparalysis View Post
    Do you see something on McMaster that says a sealing gasket
    Someone with a CO2 laser could cut them for you. Hmmm, now let me think who has a CO2 laser in their garage?? LOL How many would you need?

If you like, you can PM me with the material thickness, inner and outer diameters and I will see what material I can find locally. I will cut one and mail it to you to try.

Dave

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkertonD View Post
    Someone with a CO2 laser could cut them for you. Hmmm, now let me think who has a CO2 laser in their garage?? LOL How many would you need?

If you like, you can PM me with the material thickness, inner and outer diameters and I will see what material I can find locally. I will cut one and mail it to you to try.

Dave
    Haha, I may take you up on that sometime. However, after looking at our stock of caps, they do not match the picture shown on McMaster (that picture is of a breather vent). There is no ridge that would allow a gasket to be added, and there are many other differences.

I found one other product that looks about right: http://www.preferredinstruments.com/...=PGRP-00000018

I will look into their Canadian suppliers.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by yinqiaol View Post
    This is my first post on this forum so forgive any newbness pls
    Like most I guess I've joined this site
    Welcome to the EE Forum