Thread: Balancing Crankshaft during testing

Associate Engineer

Balancing Crankshaft during testing

Hi
    I want to test some receiprocating parameters of an Assy A (mass=10 Kg) by using 5 cylinder engine. II will be rotating crankshaft by using motor, not by combustion. Assy A will be connecting to middle cylinder (cylinder 3) and reciprocating while crank will be moving at abt 2000 rpm. Can any body suggest some way to find what weight should I attach to cylinders 1 and 5 (outer cylinders) in order to balance crank. Firing Order is 1 2 4 5 3 ?
    Regards

Technical Fellow
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homework
    Quote:
    The basic objectives of assigning homework to students are the same as schooling in general: To increase the knowledge and improve the abilities and skills of the students.
    Quote:
    A review by researchers at Duke University of more than 60 research studies on homework between 1987 and 2003 showed that, within limits, there is a positive correlation between the amount of homework done and student achievement.

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkertonD View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homework
    Quote:
    The basic objectives of assigning homework to students are the same as schooling in general: To increase the knowledge and improve the abilities and skills of the students.
    Quote:
    A review by researchers at Duke University of more than 60 research studies on homework between 1987 and 2003 showed that, within limits, there is a positive correlation between the amount of homework done and student achievement.
    Ok...I agree...but give me some useful info and example if you think its rught....hopefully?

Technical Fellow
    Camila,

I hate to preach, but...

Homework is based on stuff that you have recently learned. It usually challenges you to figure out what is the approach required and then how to apply it. I would be very surprised if there had not already been some processes covered in the course that directly applies to this problem.

It would be irresponsible of us to point out how to go about it. You are being groomed for a life in Engineering and that means you need to learn and understand what you are doing. If we provided the starter for you, you would not be using your brain to figure out where the start point is.

Once you are in the workforce and your boss gives you a similar problem he/she will expect you to go straight to the reference work that will give you the formulas to solve the problem. There will be no three days leeway while you seek out help from the Internet. Sorry for the tough love, but if you do not understand what and why you are doing something, you will never make a competent Engineer.

I suggest you go back over the course work for the past week or so and seek out issues regarding balance. Then figure out how to apply them.
    Last edited by PinkertonD; 10-11-2011 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Speeling eroors