Thread: Trends in Trainings on Engineering Standards

anoop_gupta

Trends in Trainings on Engineering Standards

Hi,

Could anybody please help me with the following information:

1) Frequency of engineers receiving trainings on standards/competencies set by organizations such as ASME, IEEE and ASTM? Average number of trainings per engineer per year?

2) Corporates spend per year per engineer on trainings for standard-based certifications and compliances? Is this spend increasing or decreasing and how much has been the year-on-year growth in spend in the last five years? Also, is this spend expected to grow in future? If yes, then how much growth is expected?

3) Key challenges faced by corporates/engineers in maintaining standards compliance, acquiring or retaining certifications, and understanding and applying appropriate standards to designs?

Any help would be of highly appreciated.

ASME, IEEE and ASTM are private companies utilizing volunteer labor to create standards and hire industry recognized experts (mostly) to deliver training on their behalf . Training programs conducted by these organizations as well as private organizations are unlikely to openly publish who, how many etc. training numbers.

Why are you seeking this information? What is your intent should such data be available?
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

anoop_gupta
    Thanks for replying. I am working for a not-for-profit skill council to create awareness around standards/competency-based trainings for engineers considering that technology is changing rapidly and the possible repercussions it could have on the current engineering workforce. Therefore, any insights would be helpful for the study.

Quote Originally Posted by anoop_gupta View Post
    not-for-profit skill council
    No such thing - unless you and all others on the council work for free.

Non-Profit in America is a tax identity for select **********, companies and organizations (religious) where profit is being made.

Quote Originally Posted by Cragyon View Post
    No such thing - unless you and all others on the council work for free.

Non-Profit in America is a tax identity for select **********, companies and organizations (religious) where profit is being made.
    That's mostly in the business confidential arena - good luck extracting that data from industry. Moreover, you don't need that data to promote the value of engineering training.

anoop_gupta
    I believe that the data has a direct correlation. The findings would reflect upon the increasing focus that the companies are putting on training their engineers to make them ready for new-age technology landscape. In addition, engineers themselves would be willing to take up these trainings to increase their employability if they see that corporates are really emphasizing on trained engineers. Hence, would request you to please share any info that you may have. Even the estimates would be good for my study.

Hence, would request you to please share any info that you may have. Even the estimates would be good for my study.
    I don't think you understand the concept of business competition nor business confidential. Organizations that compete in the engineering training vertical are not likely to share this information.

No, will not share estimates nor actual sales data with you..

anoop_gupta
    I think there is some misunderstanding. I am not looking for any company specific sales or training data. What I am trying to find out is the industry average of annual spend per engineer on trainings.

Manufacturing industry is going through some radical changes where on the one-hand corporates are talking about expanding their engineering departments to focus more on product differentiation and innovation and use these as a winning formula in the scenario where the globalization has stirred the competition to the levels never seen before. However on the other hand, surveys by ASME and other global SDOs indicate that graduate engineers lack problem solving skills required in current industry 4.0 context. To this end, I am trying to understand whether there exists a skill gap and how are companies trying to tackle this skill gap through engineer learning & development. The above sought data points would help me to test the hypothesis that i have set. I believe one should always share the knowledge that they have for the betterment of others. For Dalai Lama once said "Share your knowledge. It’s a way to achieve immortality". Thanks

I think there is some misunderstanding. I am not looking for any company specific sales or training data. What I am trying to find out is the industry average of annual spend per engineer on trainings.
    And that is absolutely business confidential information.

I am trying to understand whether there exists a skill gap and how are companies trying to tackle this skill gap through engineer learning & development.[COLOR=#ffffff]
    Skills gaps are mostly identified by challenges, mistakes, inefficiencies and identifying organizational requirements. From there training requirements are identified.

"Share your knowledge. It’s a way to achieve immortality"
    Absolutely, but again you're missing a fundamental understanding on how industry works. Industry and business throughout most of the world is locked in a competition. That competition is serious and nobody with business sense would share how much they spend or receive for providing engineering or related training.

The best I can suggest is to contact key organization HR departments and ask - no doubt there are those whom will share data.

anoop_gupta
    Well. I have come across surveys from ***Removed*** and The Training Industry in which they have provided the annual average industry spend on training of employees across multiple industry segments. All quoted figures are industry estimates and no company-specific data is shared. I would like to reiterate again that I am not looking for any company-specific figures and pretty much sure that it would not impact the business confidentiality of any organization.

anoop_gupta
    Also, corporates like to see numbers in the research reports. If one needs to increase awareness about anything nothing works better than numbers. These industry estimates will strengthen my report and serve a larger purpose aimed at increasing employability of engineers across the globe.

As far as reaching out to HR departments is concerned, I am simultaneously doing that as well. However, would really like to thank you for being so patient in replying to my queries.

Well I'll give you one data point. I think the average spend in training of engineers of all the employers I've had in over 40 years of work would work out to about $25 per engineer per year. Probably less.