Mechanical Design, Manufacturing and Engineering Forum
[ Home ] [ Search ] [ Design Resources ] [ Resume/Job Database ] [ Product and Services Directory ]
[ POSTING POLICY / RULES ] [ Archive#1] [ Archive#2 ] [ Archive#3 ] [ Calculators ] [ ]
Forum Moderators: randykimball, Administrator

Surface measurements of Slots Question
Post Reply   Forum
Posted by: pintoph

11/01/2004, 22:03:35

Author Profile Mail author Edit

I need to evaluate pitting in a slot with a small clearance. The maximum clearance of the slot is about a tenth of an inch, so the instrument needs to be pretty small to get into it. I was considering using a profilometer. Does anyone have any suggestions of something that might work better or anything else that is used in industry for such an application?



Prakash Pinto

Post Reply | Recommend | Alert Rate View All   | Next |

Replies to this message

Re: Surface measurements of Slots
Re: Surface measurements of Slots -- pintoph Post Reply Top of thread Forum
Posted by: scowil

11/05/2004, 20:06:45

Author Profile Mail author Edit
I would recomend the profilometer. Most packages come with probes small enough to fit your application. You might need to fixture the part and gage to get a good reading. There are comparator plates that are used by sight or touch, but in my opinion these are only good for reference. Would not recomend these for inspection work.

Scott Wilken

Post Reply | Recommend | Alert Rate Where am I? Original Top of thread

Powered by Engineers Edge

© Copyright 2000 - 2019, by Engineers Edge, LLC All rights reserved.  Disclaimer