Thread: Stainless steel heat deform on purpose

Associate Engineer

Stainless steel heat deform on purpose

I have a stainless water tray that is about 3' square and 2" deep. it has a drain fitting not quite in the middle. the fittings for the drain are about 3/16" thick and when the tray drains it leave a lot of water inside it to clean out manually with vacuum cleaners or rags. I know from past experience that if I heat stainless with a torch it will deform in the direction the heat is being applied. I wondered if I put a round weight, like a barbell disk in the middle of the tray then heat a circle around it from underneath if I could get the tray to sag a little bit evenly around the drain so it doesn't trap so much water? or am I headed for a lumpy uneven mess if I try this?

Lead Engineer
    Is the fitting a mounted one or is it welded to the tank and what diameter is it?

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by JAlberts View Post
    Is the fitting a mounted one or is it welded to the tank and what diameter is it?
    The fitting is a brass affair with 1/4npt threads and a big nut and rubber washer holding into a punched out hole. the hole doesn't have a beaded edge or anything it's just a flat hole. I should also mention that the perimeter of the bottom face is bolted in to a square frame. i'm thinking that part will stay parallel and thats ok the rest of it i'd liked dished down

Associate Engineer
    Tried this. Was able to drop the table base about 1/8 only as the metal mostly shrank back. I'll need to shape this a diferent way or just make a new one. Can stainless be shaped like a car fender? Like can I get the metal the flow with a hammer and dilly for example?

"Can stainless be shaped like a car fender? " Yes.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.