Thread: Help with Hoist Design

Help with Hoist Design

Hi - I am struggling to find a hoist with very specific requirements.

I require a hoist to lift up to 250kg, to a maximum height of 3m.
    It must have a free spooling clutch.
    It must have a braking system, that will allow the item being lifted to be supported in mid air when applied, but with the ability to be released allowing the item being lifted to fall.
    It also needs to be remote controlled - controlling the lifting and brake on/off. Lowering wouldn't be necessary due to the free spooling clutch.
    I will be mounting the hoist on to a steel frame work.

Does this sound feasible?

I have contacted numerous companies, but am struggling.

I guess it might have to involve an electromagnetic clutch, to allow for the free spooling, and then possibly a retro-fit braking solution?

I would really appreciate any help or guidance as not getting very far with this at all.
    Thanks all.

250 kg is not much weight. There are many options available - not sure why you're struggling..

Continue shopping around or design your own.

Please, do not come back here and promote any companies or products.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

If your winch is driven by a worm gear reducer it might be self-locking, which means it won't move either direction unless powered by the motor. Do you wish the load to "free-fall", or can it just be gently lowered down? Any standard winch should stop in either direction with the load in any position. If you do want the load to free-fall I suggest finding a way to disconnect it from the lifting cable. You do not want the cable hub spinning freely because it will continue after your load stops, resulting in a big mess of loose cable.

Kelly, thank you for your reply.
    Evidently there are not many options available, as I have contacted numerous companies but no one can offer this spec.
    I came to the conclusion that I may have to design my own, hence throwing this out there to get some feedback on feasibility.
    If you don't have anything to offer why reply???

Hi @jboggs, thank you for replying. I do actually want the item to free fall and you raise a valid point about the loose cabling, so thank you for that. Have you any experience with mechanisms for disconnecting the gearing? I am assuming the only way is via electromagnetism, but are there alternatives? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by matthewjefferywhufc View Post
    Kelly, thank you for your reply.
    Evidently there are not many options available, as I have contacted numerous companies but no one can offer this spec.
    I came to the conclusion that I may have to design my own, hence throwing this out there to get some feedback on feasibility.
    Did search for the obvious? "free fall winch"

"About 7,110,000 results " on google. They are called windlass in the marine world, BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewjefferywhufc View Post
    And, you're welcome.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.