Thread: Which forum would be best for crane help.

Which forum would be best for crane help.

Like title says, as I search through 10 pages of information looking for something that will help me. Which forum should I use for my questions. I am not a engineer at all, I just like learning and making things. Thanks

You ask which forum would be best for your questions. Are we supposed to guess what your questions are? Give us a few and maybe we can help.

Like I tell the younger engineers here, step ONE in any engineering solution is this: "Define the question". Sometimes that's not as easy as it sounds.

I want to build a crane. Trying to figure out if A500 Grade B 10"x8"x0.375" tubing is strong enough. Tube is 120" Long. 1 end is fixed to a pivot point, There will by a hydraulic cylinder at 76" and a sheav at the other end for 1/2" winch cable. I want to know which formula to use? To see if this is going to be strong enough for 12T. It looks like there are 2 strenghts Yield and Tensile. Should I be using yield strenght?

There is not anyway anybody on this engineering forum that can provide structural engineering advice without a deep dive into your crane design details.

You may be out of scope for your knowledge sets.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.