Engineering Statics Equations and Basics Equation and Calculator
Engineering Statics Basics Equations and Calculators
Static's 2D Force Components in XY Plane
Fx = F · cos θx = F · sin θy
Fy = F · sin θx = F · cos θy
F = [ Fx2 + Fy2 ]1/2
tan θx = Fy / Fx
3D Statics Components of Force
Fx = F · cos θx
Fy = F · cos θy
Fz = F · cos θz
F = [ Fx2 + Fy2 + Fz2 ]1/2
cos θx = Fx \ F
cos θy = Fy \ F
cos θz = Fz \ F
Types of Supports used in Statics Free Body Diagram
There are 5 main types of supports.
- Fixed end - This support prevents rotation, horizontal and vertical translation. By doing so it can be determined that the support will have a moment, and a horizontal and vertical force component.
- Pinned - The reaction forces for this support consist of a horizontal force and vertical force. This support does not have a moment because the support does not resist rotation.
- Roller - This support only has one reaction force which is a vertical force. This support only has one reaction force because it does not resist rotation or movement in the horizontal direction.
- Link - This support has a resultant support reaction which can consist of components vertically and horizontally.
- Rocker - Like the roller, this support also has a single reaction force which is a vertical force because is does not resist rotation and horizontal translation.
Trigonometry Cheat Sheet