Electronics, Instrumentation & Electrical Database
Electrical Power Management and Generation
Switchgear is a general term covering switching
and interrupting devices that control, meter and
protect the flow of electric power. The component
parts include circuit breakers, instrument transformers,
transfer switches, voltage regulators, instruments,
and protective relays and devices.
Switchgear includes associated interconnections
and supporting or enclosing structures. The various
configurations range in size from a single panel to
an assembly of panels and enclosures.
Switchgear subdivides large blocks of electric power and perfroms the following;
- Distributes incoming power between technical and non-technical loads.
- Isolates the various loads.
- Controls auxiliary power sources.
- Provides the means to determine the quality and status of electric power.
- Protects the generation and distribution systems.