Electric Motors, Generators and Drives Review
- The following are to links of Industrial Electric Motors, Generators and Drives resources, tools, articles and other useful data.
- Should you find any errors omissions broken links, please let us know - Feedback
- Do you want to contribute to this section? See Premium Publisher Program
- Practical Electric Motor Handbook
A Premium Engineers Edge Membership is required to view this Book
- DC Motors and Generators Video - Design, application, and operation of basic, series, shunt, and compound would DC generators and motors video.
- DC/AC Motors Types and Applications
- Classification of electric motors according to application and technology
- Electric Motor Definitions and Terms Terms and definitions of Electric Motors related technical and engineering words.
- Electric Motors, Third Edition premium membership required for access
- Electric Motor Repair and Use Handbook Premium Membership Required
- Fan Laws and Performance Formulae
- Fan And Ventilation Requirements Procedure, Equations and Calculator. This webpage describes basic methods of selecting typical ventilation and cooling products based on their use and provides and example calculation and calculator.
- General Ventilation Rates Table Listed below are general ventilation rates for some common applications. Where more than one method is shown use the method that results in the higher airflow rate.
- Keyway Cutter Hole Keyway Dimensional Data - ANSI/ASME B94.19-1997 American National Standard Keys and Keyways for Milling Cutters and Arbors ANSI/ASME B94.19
- Sizing Electric Motor for Motion Control General To size a electric motor for a particular drive application the designer must first analyze the mechanics of the drive application.
- Start and Running Torque Requirements, Calculations for Electric Motors The starting torque is dependant on the number of times anelectric motor will have to start in a given time, as well as, the duration of the start cycle.
- Motor Generator Set Combination of an electrical generator and an engine mounted together to form a single piece of equipment.
- Motors and Generators Standards, Installation and Design Premium membership required
- NEMA Knockout and Clearance Hole Diameter Machine Terminal Boxes
- Stepper Control Motors Size and Dimensions Table Inch Units Round and Square Motors. For sizes NEMA Flange 17 to 56.
- Stepper Control Motors Size and Dimensions Table for metric mounting flanges. NEMA Mounting Flanges for NEMA Frames 55 to 1080.
- Stepper Motor shafts, keys and keyways dimensions for inch size table.
- Stepper Motor shafts, keys and keyways dimensions for metric size table.
- Diesel Generator Review and Operational Characteristics Small portable diesel generators range from about 1 kVA to 10 kVA may be used as power supplies on construction sites
- Shaft Arbor and Keyseat Dimensional Data - ANSI/ASME B94.19-1997 American National Standard Keys and Keyways for Milling Cutters and Arbors ANSI/ASME B94.19
- Shaft (Arbor) Keyway Dimensional Data - ANSI/ASME B94.19-1997 American National Standard Keys and Keyways for Milling Cutters and Arbors ANSI/ASME B94.19
- Rated Shaft Loading of DC Motors "AT" Frame Designation that Have Radial Overhung Load at End of Shaft
Electric Motors Application and Operation
- Electric Motors Operation Training Video - US Army
- Starting Motor Operation Principles - US Army
- AC Motors Operating Principles Training Video
- How Magnets Produce Electricity Video
- Brushless DC Motor Applications BLDC motors are longer-lasting, quieter, smaller and more efficient than their brushed counterparts.
- Brushless DC Motor Brushless DC Motor is a type of electric motor which relies on a electronic controlled commutation.
- DC ( Direct Current ) Motor Types and Connections The circular symbol represents the armature circuit, and the squares at the side of the circle represent the brush commutator system.
- DC Shunt Wound Motor Application and Operation Characteristics of a DC shunt wound motor give it very good speed regulation, and it is classified as a constant speed motor
- DC Series Wound Motor Application and Operation Series Wound Motor is that it develops a large torque and can be operated at low speed.
- DC Compound Motor About DC compound motors combines the characteristics of a series-wound motor and a shunt-wound motor.
- Drip-Proof Induction Motor Efficiencies Rated 600 V or Less Nominal efficiencies for open drip-proof induction motors that ar rate at 600 V or less.
- Electric Motor Shaft Load Due to Belt Loading Equations and Calculator
- Polyphase Medium Induction Motors, Horsepower and Speed Ratings
- Dynamo Formula Dynamo Formula for EMF Rotating Magnetic Field
- Nema Electric Motor Frames Table Dimensional size charts for standard electric motor NEMA standard frames and configuration.
- Permanent Split Capacitor and Shaded Pole Motors, NEMA Horsepower and Speed Ratings
- Speed Capability General Purpose Squirrel Cage Induction Motors
- NEMA Continuous speed capability for general purpose design A and B Direct coupled (TS shaft for motors above the 250 Frame size) squirrel cage induction motors.
- Small Induction Motors, NEMA Horsepower and Speed Ratings
- Dimensional size chart NEMA standard Type D Flange Footless Motors
- Stepper Motor Application and Operation Typical stepper motors consists of two coils with two stator cups formed around each coil.
- Totally Enclosed Fan-Cooled Induction Motors Efficiencies Table defines the nominal efficiencies for totally enclosed fan-cooled induction motors that ar rate at 600 V or less (Random Wound).
- AC Induction Motor Operation and Application AC Alternating Current Induction Motor is the most commonly used AC motor in industrial applications because of its simplicity, rugged construction, and relatively low manufacturing costs.
- Synchronous Motors Synchronous Motor Application and Operation
- Wind Power Generation and Wind Power Turbine Design Premium Membership Required to view Document/Book
Alternators and Generators
- Types of Electrical AC DC Generators Types of Alternating Current and DIrect Current Generators.
- AC Generators Review AC Alternating generators are considered either brush or brushless
- AC Alternators Review Alternators are single-phase or polyphase.
- AC Generator Design and Assembly A typical AC generator consists of a stationary stator and a rotor mounted within the stator
- Generators Operational Characteristics Generators operational characteristics are well understood.
- Generator Exciters AC and DC Generators require direct current to energize its magnetic field.
- Generator Field Flashing Generator field flashing is required when generator voltage does not build up and the generating system
- Generator, Load and Capacity Calculator Spreadsheet Premium Membership Required
Basic Electric Motor Calculations
- Basic Electric Motor Torque Equation Basic Electric Motor Torque Equation
- Fans and Blower Horsepower Equation Generic equation to determine the required horsepower to drive the fan or blower element .
- Hydraulic Pump Horsepower Equation Hydraulic motor related equations for determining horsepower and related engineering design data.
- Linear to Rotary Motion Equation Convert the linear motion or velocity of an object into rotary motion (rpm) use the following equation.
- Linear Object Motion Horsepower Equation Linear motion (also called rectilinear motion is a motion along a straight line
- Rotating Object Horsepower Equation Rotary horsepower of an object into rotary motion (rpm) use the following equation.
- Bearings and Lubrication Application Generators Application bearings and lubrication used on generators
- ASME Shaft Design Allowable Stress and Diameter equations and calculators The objective is to calculate the shaft size having the strength and rigidity required to transmit an applied torque
Cylinder Inertia Calculations and Equations
- Solid Cylinder Inertia Based on Weight and Radius Equation and Calculator Cylinder Mass Moment of Inertia Based on Weight and Radius Equation and Calculator
- Solid Cylinder Inertia Based on Density, Radius and Length Equation and Calculator Equation and calculator to determine the Mass moment of Inertia of a Cylinder.
- Hollow Cylinder Inertia Based on Weight and Radius Equation and Calculator Equation and calculator to determine the Inertia of a Hollow Cylinder.
- Hollow Cylinder Inertia Based on Density, Length and Radius Equation and Calculator Equation and calculator to determine the Mass Moment of Inertia of a Hollow Cylinder.
Drive Systems Inertia Calculations and Equations
- Direct Drive System Inertia Equation and Calculator Equation to determine the Mass Moment of Inertia of a direct drive system.
- Gear Drive Motor Moment of Inertia Equation and Calculator Equations and calculator to determine the Inertia of a gear drive system.
- Tangent Drive Motor Moment of Inertia Equation and Calculator Equations to determine the Inertia of a tangent drive system.
- Lead Screw / Worm Gear Drive Motor Moment of Inertia Equation and Calculator Equations and calculator to determine the Amss Moment of Inertia of a lead screw / worm gear drive system.
- Natural Frequency of Electric Motor Synchronous Machines Direct Connected to Reciprocating Machinery Equations and Calculator
Electric Motor Torque and Force Equations and Calculations
- Electric Motor Accelerating Torque and Force Equation and Calculator General Determine a fan or blowers horsepower use the following equation.
- Electric Motor Solid Cylinder Rotating About Own Axis Torque, Force Equation and Calculator Determine a fan or blowers horsepower use the following equation.
- Electric Motor Hollow Cylinder Rotating About Own Axis Torque, Force Equation and Calculator Equations will determine the torque requirements for a electric motor operating with a hollow shaft driven by the motor.
- Electric Motor Driving Conveyor in Linear Motion Torque, Force Equation and Calculator Equation and calculator to determine the the torque and force to drive material in linear motion with respect to a continuous fixed relation to a rotational drive/velocity.
- Electric Motor Driving Speed Reduction ( Gear, Belt, or Chain ) Torque, Force Equation and Calculator Equation and calculator to determine the torque and force to drive gears, belt, or chain mechanical systems.
Link to this Webpage: